Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Tour of Grandview




This weekend was the Tour of Grandview in Columbus, Ohio. This is one of my favorite races. Not only are the races great, Jay Baumeister puts on a great race, but I have some great host families there. I thought that I would give you a little background on my great host families. They have really made my travels to Ohio memorable and enjoyable and helped me to feel at home.

The first year that I did this race was in 1999. I rode for Cox Atlanta Velo that year and I stayed with the Sohner's. They have three kids Dan, Bradley and Kyle. I haven't stayed with them since that first year, but they still come and cheer me on. This year Dan is actually in college in Athens, OH. Talk about feeling old! He also came to pick me up at the airport. Wow he is driving too! All three of the boys work at the races and help out and Bradley even did the announcing. Their mom and dad were also at both races cheering me on. It is so awesome to see them and catch up with them!

My other family is the Evans family. John and Stephanie have been great hosts! We have figured that I have stayed with them 5 of the last 6 years. (I didn't go two years ago because I flew to Italy and got married.) My first year with them they had two boys Luke and Eli. Just after I left that year Steph found out that she was pregnant. Now they little Isabelle who will be in kindergarten this fall. I always look forward to seeing them and see how they grow and listen to their great stories. Usually I get to see a swim meet before the Saturday races. All the parents get a kick out of the crazy bike folks that show up to cheer the Evan's kids on.

On to the races. After putting my bike together and a quick PB&J it was time to warm up for the races. I got my number and warmed up and got to the race with about 15 minutes to spare. As I sat underneath a tree to relax and stretch a little a couple of local girls asked if they could sit with me. They introduced themselves and told me that this was their first race ever. They had gotten one day licenses and were there to check it out. They asked me what category I was and when I replied a one they looked more nervous. It was so cute hearing them telling me about their riding and asking about racing and how to get on a big team. I told them that they would be just fine. Find a good wheel to follow and just stay with that person. It would probably get strung out, but just ride through it, it would get easier.
As the race started three girls quickly jumped off the front. The field slowed and I knew that I had better jump across. I attacked and one girl came with me. We traded pulls and we were across. Our group was a little unorganized and eventually my group grew to 8. I encouraged everyone to just pull a little bit so that it would stick. Our lead grew and with 3 Kenda and 2 from the local scene attacks started. When we came up on the field I attacked and hoped to get away in the confusion, but it didn't work. Eventually we were down to the last lap. The girl that had bridged with me attacked with two corners to go. I jumped on her wheel and out of the last corner I accelerated around her for the win!

Sunday I knew was going to be more difficult. There were more women and it was hot and it is a hard and technical course. Basically down hill and then up hill.
As the gun went off Priority Health attacked and took Kenda and Roadhouse with her. Several girls went in front of me and I was waiting for them to go up but no one when anywhere. Going up the hill the Roadhouse girl had fallen off so it was just two of them in the lead. I should have went across then, but I waited for the other teams that had several women to react. Then the Kenda girl came back to us and the Priority girl had 20 seconds! I attacked several times over the next laps trying to get up to the leader but never could get away. With about 5 laps to go I had to think about the sprint to the finish. It is a long uphill finish. Probably about 1k from the last turn. I wanted to go with about 200 meters or so. Not to early because there was also a headwind. As we hit the last lap I put myself about 4th wheel on the downhill. The Kenda girl in front took it hard on the descent and gaped us out on the last two corners. I yelled for the girls to go, but no one was reacting. As we started the climb she still had a gap and everyone seemed content to let her get second. Well, I wasn't content. Way earlier than I had wanted to go..about a quarter of the way up the hill I jumped. Not crazy hard, but enough to get a gap and I just kept ramping it up. I passed the Kenda girl and accelerated more. I thought please just hang on to the line without anyone else passing! I hit the line and had 2nd place!

Thanks to everone for a great weekend! I had a great time in Ohio. Thanks Sohner family, Jay Baumeister, and the Evans family. I hope to have some additional pics for you guys later.

SHK

3 comments:

Kim said...

Way to go, Shannon!!

Granny's 30 said...

great write up...here are some photos of your weekend.

http://triplecrankset.blogspot.com/2007/07/grandview-usa_04.html

Granny's 30 said...

Shannon...great seeing you in Vegas...shoot me off an email if you get this.

Len from Triple Crankset
obasobas@gmail.com